Thursday, September 17, 2009

Getting sick from a really cold room

Yesterday afternoon I attended a three hour meeting.  About an hour into the meeting, I was anticipating a break, which never came.  I was starting to get really cold sitting in this conference room, so I was wanting to get my jacket.  I never got my jacket though so I sat there getting colder and colder.  I noticed that my nose felt like ice.  My toes were really cold as well (I was wearing thicker socks and tennis shoes).  By the time I left the meeting I noticed that my throat was a little scratchy and sore.

That evening my throat didn't feel any better and I kept sneezing.  Then I woke up this morning with a really bad sore throat and runny nose - a cold.  I never really thought that you could get sick just from being cold.  (I was always told when I was little to wear my coat when I went outside in the winter.  When I didn't, I don't think I immediately got sick). 

Luckily with google, you can find any information.  So naturally today I googled to see experiences with getting a cold from being cold.  In my search I read that if you get cold enough you could stress the body enough to weaken the immune system.  I fully believe that this is what happened to me yesterday.  I guess the moral of the story is: work literally made me sick.

No comments: