Thursday, September 9, 2010

Take 2 - Panko Crusted Chicken with Tomato Basil Sauce

The other night I re-made my panko crusted chicken dinner.  I was successful at not burning the breading.  It was really good.  The panko crumbs have a distinct flavor.  This is what I did differently:
1. I pounded out the chicken a little just to even the pieces out
2. I did not pre-heat the skillet and oil.
3. I used medium (or maybe just less than medium) heat. (I turned down the heat after the 2nd side was on for awhile to probably med-low).
4. I covered the skillet.

One side did get a little toastier than perfection, but not burnt by any means.  I also had to add more oil in the middle of cooking (originally I just added enough to barely coat the skillet).  The chicken probably needed about 10-12 minutes per side before it was cooked through.

No picture for this one because it essentially looked like it did last time, except the bread was more a brown color and not black (success!).  Usually the second or third time I make a meal is when I decide how much I like it.  I rate on ease of cooking, time required, mess made and taste.  This one is high on my list.  It's fairly easy...neither the chicken or sauce needs much attention once it gets going.  It is kinda messy since we have to coat the raw chicken.  It was fairly quick to make - this time around probably took me about 25 minutes, and it was delicious.  I'm sure I'll be making this recipe on a regular basis!

My next post will be a chicken parm salad that I made with the help of a friend when I was in Arizona for a Girls' Weekend.  Stay Tuned!

No comments: