Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Spiced Steak Wrap

One day I went on a hunt for steak recipes. We don’t eat steaks very often and when we do, we grill them. I decided that I needed a steak recipe or two in my repertoire – one that I wouldn’t have to rely on the grill for. I found this one and I tried it. I tried to buy the 5-spice seasoning, but failed (I only looked at Wal-mart though) so instead I just used a steak grill seasoning.
  The end result was a delicious steak wrap!  A good find indeed!
 Here's the recipe:
Serves 4
Ingredients
12 oz beef round steak
2 c packaged shredded cabbage with carrot (coleslaw mix)
1/4 c red/green pepper cut into thin bite-size strips
1/4 c julienned carrot
1/4 c fresh chives
2 T red wine vinegar
1/2 t toasted sesame seeds
1/2 t EVOO (or use sesame oil in place of EVOO and seeds)
1/2 t five spice powder (I actually used grill seasoning since I couldn't find this)
1/4 t salt
1/4 c sour cream
4 8-in flour tortillas

Method
In a medium bowl combine  oil, seeds and vinegar.  Add coleslaw mix, peppers, carrot and chives.  Toss to combine.  Set aside.

Trim fat from steak.  Thinly slice steak across the grain into 1/4-inch thick strips.  Sprinkle steak with seasoning and salt.  Preheat skillet over medium-high heat.  Add steak strips.  Stir-fry for 3 to 4 minutes or until brown.

To assemble, spread 1 T of sour cream down the center of each tortilla.  Top with steak strips.  Spoon coleslaw mixture over steak.  Fold in sides of tortillas to make a wrap.

No comments: