Sunday, March 13, 2011

Monte Cristo

As I was looking through my posts, I realized that I never published this one.  I guess it's a 3 for 1 type of Sunday!!


Even though I have been slacking blogging, I have NOT been slacking on the cooking part! I’ve still been trying new things on a weekly basis, but I have failed taking pictures and posting about it.

Last night was new recipe night and I was once again inspired to take a picture! I attempted making a Monte Cristo sandwich. The recipe I used called for griddling the sandwich instead of frying which is definitely healthier. I’m tempted to try the fried version though the next time I make this. Next time I also plan to fry the bacon instead of bake it. Baking it didn’t make the bacon done enough for my preference. I also couldn’t find white cheddar so I ended up using Swiss which was delicious. I did drizzle the sandwiches with syrup (after the picture, oops!), but that just turned into a messy dinner - so next time we might be dipping our sandwiches instead. This was an easy recipe and quick except for the 20 minutes in the oven for the bacon which I plan on changing the next time. Enjoy!

Here’s the recipe:
ABC Monte Cristo
Serves 4
Ingredients
12 slices good-quality bacon
8 slices good-quality peasant or round-loaf french bread
1/2-3/4 pound extra-sharp white cheddar cheese
2 golden delicious or gala apples, cored and very thinly sliced
3 large eggs
1/2 cup whole milk or half-and-half (I used skim milk)
A little freshly grated nutmeg
Butter, for greasing
Warm maple syrup, for drizzling

Method

Bake the bacon on a broiler pan or a rack set over a baking sheet at 375°F until just crisp, about 20 minutes. Arrange 4 slices of bread with some cheese and the apples on top. Beat the eggs with the milk (or half-and-half) and a little nutmeg. Heat a large griddle pan over medium heat. When ready, arrange 3 slices of bacon on each sandwich and top with a little more cheese and 4 more slices of bread. Coat each sandwich in the egg batter. Grease the griddle with butter and griddle the sandwiches until deep golden on each side and the cheese has melted. Halve the sandwiches and drizzle with a little warm syrup.

No comments: