Sunday, March 13, 2011

Open-face Salmon Burgers with Honey Mustard

This week's new recipe was Open-face Salmon Burgers.  In my to try pile I have quite a few seafood recipes.  My goal has been to eat fish at least once a week.  I have a salmon cakes recipe that regularly appears on our meal calender, but that is about it for salmon so I was specifically looking for a new recipe with salmon.



This turned out really well.  Next time I might think of using canned salmon instead of salmon fillets.  I think canned might be cheaper and it's something that seems easier.  Although, the salmon fillets were really most and binded together well to make the burger so I might stick with the fillets after all.  I have been successful with frozen seafood.  Not too long ago I found a brand that I really like.  It might just be the general Walmart brand, but it comes in a red pouch and the fish are vacuum sealed in.  I first tried this brand when I bought mussels.  Next I tried the tilapia and most recently for this recipe I purchased the salmon.  All of these have tasted fantastic.  And with the tilapia I preferred the frozen over the fresh, because the fresh fish that I got smelled and tasted a little fishy.  I have not experienced that with the frozen variety though.  In general, I am not a big seafood eater.  I like eating some fish mainly because I know it's good for me.  I like tuna and salmon (especially raw in the form of sushi!), but white fish has never been my thing.  With all that being said, I am starting to really enjoy tilapia too and I am considering branching out again to try a new fish.  Maybe you have a recommendation of one that I could try next???

Ok, on to the recipe:
Serves 2
Ingredients
about 3 T dijon mustard (or spicy brown which is what I used)
about 1 T honey
2 salmon fillets, skinless
salt and pepper
2 T fresh chives (I just realized that I forgot this - oops!)
1 T Old Bay Seasoning (not used, I didn't even use any seasoning besides S&P, I think there's enough taste from the mustard)
1 t grated lemon zest (I used a few drops of lemon juice instead)
EVOO
butter, for spreading
1 English muffin, split and toasted (or just bread or a bun or whatever)
cucumbers and red onion for topping

Method
In a small bowl, stir together mustard and honey.  Using the food processor, pulse salmon to a finely chop.  (In an effort to be lazy, I tried to use a fork and break up the fillet, but I was unsuccessful).  Place salmon in bowl and season with salt and pepper and old bay and lemon zest.  Add the chives, and about 1 T of the honey mustard.  Form into 2 large burgers.

Drizzle some EVOO into a large nonstick skillet or griddle.  Add the burgers and cook, turning once, over medium-high heat for 6 minutes for medium rare or 10-12 minutes for well done.

Lightly butter the muffins.  Top each muffin half with the salmon burger, remaining honey mustard, sliced cucumbers and red onions.  Eat these beauties with a knife and fork!

No comments: