Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Freezer Cooking

I have been somewhat obsessed with freezer cooking lately.

I did one freezer cooking session about 4 years ago and didn't think much of it.  I was getting ready to work a turn around so I knew that for a month all I'd be doing was working and sleeping.  I wanted to make things easier on Brian (this was before kids too!) so I made a few things one weekend when he was out of town and started freezing.  It was successful so I'm not entirely sure why I never tried it again or thought much about freezer cooking until a few months ago.

Two of my friends and I spent a Friday afternoon cooking.  We made a lot of food and I was completely exhausted from the rest of the weekend.  But my freezer is full!

We made 4 dishes (and multiplied each by 6 so that we each took home ~12 servings of each meal). 
1.  Beef Enchiladas
2. Chicken in Raspberry Sauce
3. Sweet Potato and Chicken Stew
4. Broccoli and Rice Chicken Casserole

I am really glad that I got to spend an afternoon with some friends and fill the freezer as a result, but it was a long, tough afternoon!  Since then I've still be stocking the freezer, but my method has been to make a larger batch of whatever I happen to be making and freezer half.  I think I like this method better because it seems like minimal effort to make extra.  I've mainly been making toddler friendly recipes but we need those too!

No comments: