Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Minestrone Casserole

Minestrone Casserole
Serves 4-6

Ingredients:
1 lb ground beef
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups malfada pasta*
1 (10 oz) can cream of celery soup
1 cup beef broth*
1/4 cup water*
1 (15 oz) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup julienned carrots
1 (14 oz) can tomatoes with basil and oregano, undrained*
1 (16 oz) can corn, undrained
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese

Directions:
In large skillet, brown ground beef with onion and garlic, stirring to break up meat. Drain well. Stir in remaining ingredients except for Parmesan cheese. Pour into 3 quart casserole (9x13), cover tightly, and refrigerate.

When ready to eat, preheat oven to 400°F. Bake casserole, covered, for about 55-60 minutes until hot. Uncover, sprinkle with cheese, and bake for 10-15 minutes longer until bubbly.

*My modifications:
I used penne pasta.  I don't know what malfada is and wasn't about to search the store for it.  I used chicken broth instead of beef broth.  I also omitted the can of tomatoes because Brian is avoiding tomatoes right now and I used 1/2 cup of water since I wasn't using the tomatoes.

I made this Sunday morning.  I was a little worried that since left the tomatoes out, there wouldn't be enough liquid for the pasta. There was plenty of liquid after it baked - too much really and next time I'll probably use less than 1/2 cup water.  We both thought this dish was very delicious.  It definitely needed salt, but other than that it was super yummy and this will become one of our regular dinners!

No comments: