Tuesday, April 30, 2013

French Toast Sticks

This was my second attempt at French Toast Sticks.  I like to have different breakfast options ready to go because I send breakfast to daycare.  The first attempt at french toast sticks didn't turn out so well, but these were much better!

The first time I tried baking them.  I wasn't able to flip the sticks half way through the cooking time as the recipe indicated so one side ended up burning some.  This time I decided to cook the sticks how I normally would - on the griddle.  I also added some jarred peaches in hopes of making them a little sweet since I don't serve them with syrup for my boy.

Verdict: Attempt two was a success.  My toddler only ate about 1 stick (or less), but that's more than he ate from the first batch.  His favorite breakfast is still the sweet potato pancakes (and maybe a bagel with cream cheese).  I also thought they tasted better than the first time around.



French Toast Sticks
Makes 30 sticks

Ingredients:
10 pieces of bread, cut into thirds
5 eggs
~1/2 c milk
4 oz peaches (baby food)
1 t vanilla
1 t cinnamon sugar

Method:
Beat eggs with fork, add milk, vanilla, cinnamon sugar and peaches.  Stir to combine.  Soak bread in batter and place on heated griddle (about medium heat).  Cook on each side ~3 minutes or until golden brown.

To freeze:
Allow sticks to cool.  Line baking sheet with foil, spray with Pam.  Layer sticks on foil.  Flash freeze for 1-2 hours.  Remove from pan and place in Ziploc baggie.

No comments: