Sunday, October 10, 2010

Cheese Tortellini

Tonight's meal was a cheese tortellini with a bean sauce.  It's a super easy and quick meal.  And I think it's sooo yummy.  I've made this a meal a few times now, and it is quickly becoming a go-to meal.  I like to serve it with garlic bread, but really the meal can stand on it's own.  I think the sauce is a healthy substitution for alfredo sauce.

Here's the recipe:
1 - package tortellini (I use cheese, but use meat if you are a meat lover).  I get the 1/2 size package since I'm cooking for 2
1 - 15 oz can of great northern beans (or any white bean really), drained
1 clove of garlic
2/3 cup of milk
salt and pepper
oregano (probably 1 tsp worth)
2 bell peppers - use different colors!, chopped
1/4 cup of shredded parmesean cheese (I never measure this and most likely use close to 1/2 cup).  You can add more cheese to help thicken the sauce if needed (but it will thicken slightly as it cools as well).

Cook the tortellini according to the package directions.  In a food processor combine the beans, milk and garlic until smooth.  Add to skillet.  Add the cheese, seasonings and peppers.  Heat through over medium heat.

Combine the cooked tortellini with the bean sauce!  See isn't that an easy meal!  It's very fulfilling and satisfying as well.

Notes:  The original recipe serves 4 and uses 1 can of beans and 2/3 cup of milk.  Since halving a can of beans is awkward, I've always used the full amount for the sauce.  There ends up being a little extra sauce.  But it's easily used up with the garlic bread.  If making for 4, and you like a decent amount of sauce, then consider doubling the beans and milk.

No comments: