Monday, October 18, 2010

Parmesan Tilapia with Roasted Parm Potatoes

This weekend I was extremely adventurous and tried 3 new recipes!  So today is going to be a double entry!  Friday night I attempted a tilapia recipe that one of my friends finally convinced me to try.  It was a simple recipe, and Brian really enjoyed it.  However about halfway through my fish fillet I had about as much fish as I can handle.  Tilapia is a white fish.  It's relatively mild, but I am iffy about fish.  I really like sushi.  I can eat salmon and tuna without too much problem, but bring in the white fish and it's just overwhelming to me.  This recipe was good though because the marinade was super tasty and as long as I had enough of that in every bite I hardly knew I was eating fish.

Here's the recipe from whole foods market:
http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/2243

My modifications: I used fresh basil instead of dried.  I used sour cream although I'm sure greek yogurt would be fine.  As long as it's plain.  I didn't have either tarragon or onion powder so those were omitted.

Also the marinating part of the recipe was a little odd for me. My marinade was fairly thick and not what I think of for a typical marinade.  So I just coated the tops of the fillets with the sauce and let it sit in the refrigerator for awhile (longer than 20 minutes I think).  Then it was into the broiler.  I ended up cooking mine probably 10 minutes total just because I am a coward and freak out about anything undercooked which definitely means I overcook pretty much everything.



I decided to pair the fish with a potato that I saw RR make one day.  The potatoes looked delicious!  Here's the recipe for those:
http://www.rachaelray.com/recipe.php?recipe_id=3233

I didn't make any modifications to the potato recipe although next time I think I might use an actual skillet instead of a pot.  I might also let them get crispier.  I had one potato that was slightly undercooked, but it was hard to maneuver all the potatoes in the pot.  Also the cheese distribution was awkward as well so I might sprinkle that on top of the potatoes once they make it to the plate.  I don't think I'll actually squish them next time either because I'm not sure that really adds much besides a mess.  They were delicious though and will be made again.

No comments: