Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Crock Pot Chicken and Black Beans

Chicken and Black Beans is a favorite of mine.  Recently I thought, I need to try this in the crockpot.  I figured it would be fairly easy to adapt to the crockpot.  In the end, I didn't like the crockpot version as much as the regular one, but I think a big part of that was the black beans.  I didn't have any canned beans so I ended up using beans from a bag and I don't think they were cooked enough.  I don't like undercooked beans.  But I think I will add this as a crockpot meal and next time I'll make sure I have canned beans to use.

Chicken and Black Beans
~3 servings as prepared

3 chicken breast, frozen
1/2 lb black beans, soaked/prepped
1 14 oz can of tomatoes
1 chipotle pepper, seeded and chopped + some adobo sauce
1 small red onion, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped

To serve:
Tortilla chips
1 avocado, chopped
shredded cheese
sour cream

Directions:
Place frozen chicken in bottom of stoneware.  Cover with tomatoes, beans, chopped onion and peppers.  Cook on low for ~5 hours.  (I think I cooked on low for 2.5 hours and then changed it to high for another 1 in hopes of getting those beans softer).

To serve, place chips in a bowl.  Add chicken and black beans.  Top with cheese, sour cream and avocado.

No comments: