Monday, August 24, 2009

My mouth is 90% free

I had my post-op appointment this afternoon. I had been looking forward to this day for about 10 days now. This appointment was to remove the stitches. I also knew that after this appointment my stent (roof of mouth protection) would come out - the stent was highly uncomfortable for me.

After I was situated in the chair, the assistant brought a cup in and sat it on the little tray. The cup was labeled "Lugsby" a poor attempt at my last name I assumed. I never verified this, but in the end I'm pretty sure that's what it was, because the cup contained my night guard (to prevent me from grinding my teeth at night). While I was waiting throughout the appointment I would look at the cup and just start laughing. Lugsby! I wonder if Brian's ever gotten that one.

I had been nervous about this appoinment because I'm always worried about bad news. The doctor said that everything looked good. Well actually he said the roof of my mouth looked disgusting but that was normal for only 2 weeks out. The gums and roof were healing as they should. Also the gums are BIG now which was the entire point. Phew...

So apparently I had 2 different kinds of stitches in. One kind was the normal kind, the black ones that you might get in your hand or knee after surgery or a really bad cut. The other ones are smaller and white and look more like thread. Only the black kind came out today, which is okay by me because some of those were loose and starting to bother me.

They didn't numb me for the stitches removal, but they did use some topical numbing agent. This process wasn't too bad. Actually it kinda tickled when the stitches came out (like it does when they are removed, say from a knee). However, there are 2 irritated spots in my mouth. When they got to the first one I flinched a little, but they got it out without too much drama. Then they got to the second sore spot and I think I about jumped out of the chair. I started crying (my natural reaction to pretty much anything), and I made the assistants feel bad (the assistants were removing the stitches), so then I felt bad for crying and making them feel bad in return. They gave me more numbing stuff and that helped a little, but it was still sore. But once the stitch was out everything immediately felt better.

The roof of my mouth...it is disgusting (it feels it)...the tissue they took was a horseshoe shape parallel to my teeth. The part that's healing feels poofy and slimy, it feels raw. It doesn't hurt though. I'm still getting used to the feeling (it's impossible for me to keep my tongue off of it!), but really without the stent in there I feel really comfortable. I just use the stent now when I eat to continue to protect the roof of my mouth.

I am in no pain now, it's just those 2 irritated spots are a little sore. I imagine they will be for a day or so. But I have no restrictions now! I can eat anything, I can brush and floss (I just need to take it easy and lay off if any spots are extra tender).

The first thing I did when I got home...brushed my teeth with my new Peanuts toothbrush! (Yes, I bought a kid's toothbrush...the head's are smaller so I won't have any stray bristles going places I don't want!) Oh, and I can also talk normal now that I don't have the stent in. I don't have to slur my "S"es!

What a trial this has been, but at least the end is in sight!

No comments: