Monday, August 10, 2009

On the way to healing

I am slowly, but steadily getting better from the gum graft. Yesterday was the worst day so far. I took both pain meds before I went to sleep Saturday night. Then I woke up at 4:30 am (6 hours after taking the Vicoprofen (pain med jr), and 8 hours after taking a demerol (big pain med)). I took both of the pain meds at 4:30 and hoped they would kick in soon, because I was hurting. I decided that ice would help, so I rang my little bell to wake up Brian (it's hard for me to talk, especially when I'm in pain, so forget calling for B in his sleep). I asked Brian for ice, but it was too much for me and I started crying. The really crappy thing about starting to cry is that when it turns into a sob, it starts pulling on my bottom lip and it makes everything hurt even more. But we got my chin wrapped in ice and the medicine kicked in and I was asleep.

That set the tone for the day though. All weekend I kept trying to lessen the amount of demerol I take. Sunday I tried to do that too, but it didn't work for me. So I was pretty regular on both the Vicoprofuen and Demerol for all of Sunday. The pain was pretty intense all day. I would be ready for more pain medication about 2 hours before I was allowed to take it. Sunday ended up being a long day.

Now it's Monday, and I have to wait 15 minutes before my next dosage of pain medicine. I'm going to try to skip the demerol (I did that for the last dosage)...so we'll see what happens.

Here's my pluses during this ordeal:
The dogs are extra snuggly with me
I caught up on some movies
I get to eat as much ice cream as I want
I get to ring a bell when I need Brian's attention

Here's my not so fun things:
My bottom lip and chin are still numb and this freaks me out a little
The medicine makes me dizzy and itchy
I can't kiss Brian
I can't talk to my mom
The dryness of mouth after sleeping. My tongue even dries out and it feels like leather! Gross!

That's all for now...hopefully the next update I'll report that I'm all better!

No comments: