Monday, October 22, 2012

Basil Chicken with Feta

We've had a slight hiccup in our meal plan.  Last Saturday we planned to eat out, but we had been out already and our little man was getting tired.  So instead of just getting something fast to go, we decided we'd just go home, put the little guy to bed and have a frozen pizza for dinner.  And since we didn't eat out last Saturday, we decided we could eat out this past Saturday.  So I had a meal scheduled for Saturday that we didn't end up using/needing.  It was a new recipe and one for the crockpot (because I need to increase my crockpot arsenal).  So I decided I'd scrap the weekly fish on Sunday to do the meal on Sunday.  This actually worked perfectly because we ended up taking our boat out Sunday and I would have had zero energy to cook dinner.  Plus it was awesome that dinner was ready when we were ready!

Basil Chicken with Feta in Crockpot
~4 servings (recipe says to use 4 qt crockpot)
4 chicken breasts, frozen (original recipe calls for 2lb of chicken thighs)
1 14 oz can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
1 14 oz can fire roasted tomatoes
1/2 cup of pitted green olives
1/4 cup basil leaves
8 oz feta

Place the chicken in the dish, top with tomatoes, beans, olives.  Scatter basil leaves and top with feta crumbles.  Cook on low for 6 hours or high for 3.  (I used a 6qt CP and cooked on low for 3.5 hrs and let it keep warm for 4 hours).

This meal was ok, but not one of my favorites.  I thought it was pretty similar to the crockpot Meditterean Chicken dish.  The feta did something weird in the crockpot.  This was my first time using a block of feta instead of the usual already crumbled stuff.  So I'm not sure if that was it or not.  I think next time I'll add the feta much much later.  I used basil from our garden which was awesome.  We didn't like eating the basil after it cooked though.  I'm not sure I tasted much basil flavor either, but I definitely smelled it while it was cooking.

No comments: