Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Crockpot Ranch Chicken Recipe

Today, right now, as we speak, I'm working on dinner.  Tuesday's are crockpot days!  And I love that!  I almost forgot to do some prep work last night for this meal, but I eventually remembered.  At the very least, I like to set out the ingredients and recipe the night before so all I have to do in the morning is throw everything together.

Here's how I made it:

Ranch Chicken with Potatoes
~2 Servings (with maybe some leftovers)

2-3 chicken breast, frozen
5-6 tiny to small potatoes
1/2 bag (small bag) of baby carrots
1/2 onion, sliced
1 can (10oz?) cream of chicken
1 pkg dry ranch seasoning
1/2 cup of milk

Mix the cream of chicken, dry ranch and milk together in a small bowl.  Add frozen chicken to the crockpot, add potatoes, carrots, and onions.  Cover with the cream mixture.  Cook on low for 3-4 hours.

We've had this meal a few times now and it's a good one.  The original recipe calls for pork chops, but I don't like pork chops.  Feel free to use either, but don't ask me how to cook pork!

Ok, here's the deal with crockpots.  The cook time really depends on how full the dish is.  The less full, the less cooking time you will need.  Through trial and error (read severly burned, dried out meals), I've learned the right cook time.  You just need to experiment.  My cook time might be a little less if I didn't keep it in the CP all day.  But I've learned that when it's keeping warm all day I really only need it "cooking" for about 3-4 hours.  I have a large crockpot (6 qts maybe??) so when I make meals for 2, I only fill the stoneware about half way sometimes even less.

Maybe one day I'll do a post with CP tips.  But for now, just remember, if you are starting it before you leave for work and it will be warming all day, aim on the short cooking time.  When you get home you can check it out and if it's undercooked, you can easily turn it on high for an hour and probably be fine.  If you are going to be home when you are cooking, just check on it and add more time if needed.  Good luck!

No comments: