Friday, October 19, 2012

Loaded Potatoes

I did something new! I baked potatoes in the crockpot and next to those potatoes, I put a pyrex dish with chili in it!


I was home on Wednesday so instead of microwaving the potatoes for dinner (Wednesday's dinner theme is quick, the quicker the better!), I thought I'd like to try the potatoes in the crockpot. I had read that if a dish is oven safe then you can use it in the crockpot. Apparently this is a good method if you are making a smaller dish than the size of your crockpot calls for. I was nervous.

Loaded Potatoes:
2 large potatoes, cleaned, forked and wrapped in foil
1 can of chili and beans
a few green onions, chopped
sour cream
cheese
other potato toppings

The chili goes into the pyrex dish and the potatoes next to them. I cooked on high for 3 hours. The chili was over cooked (but not burnt) and the potatoes were perfect! Then top the potatoes with all the fixings!

If I use this method in the future and I do not plan on being home, I will probably cook the potatoes on low for 4-5 hours and then add the chili (in its on bowl) after I get home from work. The chili just needs to heat through.

No comments: